Followers

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Creamy Mashed Cauliflower


Hands down, my absolute favorite side dish is my mom’s mashed potatoes. She makes them with sour cream which gives them a nice creamy tang and when it comes to food, I tend to devour anything with a little tang. Over the years, I’ve adapted this recipe into a slightly healthier version by substituting Greek yogurt and it tastes just as decadent. Continuing on the healthy route, tonight I decided to make my adapted recipe with cauliflower instead of potatoes.

Truth be told, if someone placed this in front of me and told me it was mashed potatoes, I would probably believe them. While the consistency is a bit thinner, it tastes very similar. This dish also gets bonus points by saving you time (no need to peel away at tons of potatoes), and this cruciferous vegetable is packed full of health benefits that you can read all about here. Here’s how to make this easy side dish…
1 head of cauliflower (florets only – no stems)
1 small, 6 oz container of greek yogurt
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp grated parmigiano reggiano
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 small shallot chopped
1 chopped scallion for garnish
Salt, pepper and seasonings to taste (I like to use garlic pepper andAdobo)
In a medium pot, bring water to boil (I like to add some garlic pepper and Adobo to the water). Add cauliflower florets to the boiling water and let cook for about 8 minutes or until soft. Remove and drain. In a food processor, combine the cauliflower with the greek yogurt, butter, garlic and shallots and blend until a creamy consistency. Add salt and pepper or Adobo or seasonings of your choice and blend once more. Transfer to a bowl and while hot, mix in the parmigiano reggiano and top with scallions for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment